Performance Management Training Workshops
Now that the TBS Directive on Performance Management has been in place for a few months, many departments are finding that the implementation is more challenging than many expected because:
- While managers have come a long way in improving the quality and completion rate of performance reviews, many are now being challenged with how to create a high performing culture and engage employees; and,
- The use of collaborative communications techniques that are required in the differenct phases of the Performance Management cycle requires practice so that it results in meaningful communication.
Implementing Performance Management in the Public Service
Delta Partners' Senior Consultants, Gita Baack, PhD has over 20 years of experience working and consulting in the Federal Public Service. She has designed and delivered hundreds of training programs to help managers in the Public Service cope with challenges just like this.
In response to the specific difficulties that arise from the Directive on Performance Management, Gita has developed a series of workshops that will provide managers at every level with the specific knowledge and skills to confidently meet the TBS requirements while creating real employee development.
This training is offered in both official languages.
While these workshops can be customized to meet your needs, we find that a two-day workshop in a modular format provides the best learning opportunity for Public Service managers.
This approach allocates the time needed to clarify the policy requirements and it provides ample opportunities to practice the collaborative communications techniques that are required in the different phases of the Performance Management cycle.
Day 1 for Managers – What managers need to know about Performance Management
First, managers need to understand how the TBS system is laid out, what is expected of them, and how the pieces fit together. Case studies are included to create greater discussion and to support the depth of learning in the following topics:
- Requirements of the TBS Directive on Performance Management
- The Public Service Performance Agreement
- SMART Objectives
- Performance Indicators
- Core Competencies
- Individual Learning Plans
- Assessing Progress and Action Plans
- Rating Performance
- Departmental-specific Information and Available Resources
Day 2 for Managers – Tools and techniques for successful implementation of Performance Management
After learning "what" to do in the first session, the second session will focus on the "how" of Performance Management. Specifically, this will focus on hands-on practice for the effective delivery of feedback and coaching at each stage of the Performance Management cycle:
Initial Meeting: Beginning of the Year/Cycle
- Conducting a Performance Discussion
- Reaching Mutual Agreement on SMART Goals
- Seeking input from Employees
- Positive Feedback
- Corrective Feedback
- Action Plan
- Constructive Coaching
End of Year
- Conducting the year end Performance Review and Assessment Discussion
- Addressing Insufficient Improvement
- Talent Management Plans for High Performers
The workshops for employees are less intensive than those created for managers, and can be presented in either a full-day or a half-day format.
Employee Half-Day Session - What employees need to know about Performance Management
It is also crucial for employees to understand how the TBS system functions, and, more importantly, how it impacts them as employees. They will cover the same topics as the managers; we discuss the policy requirements and the impact these can have from the employee's perspective with a goal to enable them to ask questions and gain clarity on their issues.
Employee Full-Day Session
A full-day session in addition to covering the information from the half-day session, includes a workshop in which the employees practice the collaborative feedback techniques that will allow them to have success in this new approach to Performance Management.
In addition to the core workshops, training and coaching on important management and leadership competencies is available:
- Giving and Receiving Balanced Feedback
- Conducting Difficult Conversation – Dealing with Conflict & Resistance
- Team Building for Optimal Performance
- Building Mutual Trust within a Team, Organization, and across Organizations
- Communicating with Diverse Generations and Diversity of People
- Effective Internal Consulting for Functional Positions
- Coaching for Learning and Career Development
At the end of this 2-day workshop, workshop participants will have a better understanding of and ability to:
- Implement the TBS Directive on Performance Management from a change management perspective
- Use the directive as an opportunity to “reset” employee relations – identify areas where improvement in needed
- Recognize the role and responsibilities of the manager in performance management
- Communicate effectively with employees
- Improve employee engagement and trust levels, with a focus on employee development
- Deliver and receive feedback
All of these topics can be customized to reflect your specific needs, directions, and resources, and delivered in the way that is most appropriate to your situation:
- 2 hour quick hits
- Half Day
- Full Day
- Hourly basis
Ultimately, it's up to you. We can work with you to best meet your needs!
Contact us today to learn more about pricing and delivery options.